A substantial number of people from the local communities surrounding where we operate are dependent on our operations for employment.
The Tongo Project is expected to create approximately 700 direct local jobs. It is anticipated that this number will increase over time as skilled expatriate workers are replaced by local employees through Sierra Diamonds’ skills transfer programs.
Community and infrastructure development
Newfield’s community development efforts focus on contributing to the future viability of the communities surrounding our operations.
Community investment initiatives at Tongo will further expand as the Project commences construction and enters production. These include grassroots support like the construction and fitting of local medical clinics, schools and community centres, and drilling and equipping of water wells, as well as repair of roads and basic infrastructure.
Newfield’s exploration and mining activities in Sierra Leone are governed by Sierra Leone environmental legislation and regulations, including Mines and Minerals Act, 2009.
Environmental performance is reported from each site to management on a regular basis. Compliance with the requirements of environmental regulations has been substantially achieved across all operations with no instance of non-compliance noted.
2017-18 key achievements – social initiatives
- Infrastructure development projects, including:
- Access road and bridge construction – providing greater accessing for both producer and consumers in local villages
- Provision of ferry
- Construction of a medical clinic and water hand pumps
- Gave structures and furniture to three communities
- Creation of dredging program to minimise environmental impact and allow the community to derive economic gain from gold panning